The Chilterns Chalk Streams Project is a partnership of statutory bodies, local authorities and voluntary organisations committed to the conservation of the chalk stream environment in the Chilterns. The Chalk Streams Project aims to conserve and enhance all major chalk streams in the Chilterns AONB and to encourage enjoyment and understanding of them. This includes the River Chess, which runs through Chesham.
The project works to:
- provide advice on riverside management
- raise awareness of the importance of chalk streams and the need to conserve them
- carry out practical conservation to improve the streams for wildlife
- survey the quality of wildlife habitats and locate rare species
- provide educational resources for schools
- improve physical access to the streams, where appropriate, and provide information about their special qualities
For more information, visit their web site.