The Francis Trust was formed on the 31st December 1982. The purposes of the Trust are to ensure that The Chesham Town Picture is conserved and made freely and readily on display to the public.
The Chesham Town Picture represents a panoramic view of Chesham town, oil on canvas, possibly by John Harris, c. 1760. It is in its original pear wood frame.
It was owned by the Fuller family of Great Germains, Fuller's Hill and subsequently by Mr John Francis of Botley House, East Street. He died in 1981 and gave the picture for the benefit of the people of Chesham and the Francis Trust was set up for that purpose.
The Picture was restored in 1981. During the following 32 years, the Picture became damaged and suffered deterioration from moisture and daylight and the Trust arranged for the Picture to be restored again in 2013 by the restorer who carried out the work in 1981.
It was on display in Chesham Library for many years and then Chesham Museum. It is now kept at the Town Hall, with a copy on public view in the Lowndes Room. The picture can be viewed by the public free of charge; please contact the Town Hall on 01494 774842 or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to arrange to see it.
The trustees comprise representatives nominated by:
Chesham Town Council
The Chesham Society
The Chess Valley Archaeological and Historical Society
The District Church Council of St Mary's Church