Chesham’s Memorial to those who died in the World Wars is in the heart of the town, in the centre of The Broadway.
The World War One memorial commemorates the 188 Chesham men who fell between 1914 and 1918.
The striking stone statue was designed by Arthur George Walker who placed it such that the sun would shine on the soldier's face all day.
The memorial is one of six of a similar design, the others being located at Dartford, Heston, Ironbridge, Sevenoaks and Wolverhampton.
Only the Chesham and Heston memorials are sculpted from stone, the others being cast in bronze. The statue was unveiled on the 14th July 1921.
Following the Second World War the memorial was reconstructed and two monoliths installed either side to honour those who died between 1939 and 1945.
The memorial is proudly maintained by Chesham Town Council, including a full restoration during 2013. We are grateful to Mr Grenville Chamberlain for historic information about the memorial.